Garden Route Explorer
7 Day Overland Tour, Accommodated
From: Cape Town
To: Port Elizabeth
Number of Participants: 4-20
Tour Price: from 850 EUR
Activity Package: from 20 EUR
Single Supplement: from 70 EUR
This 7-day accommodated overland tour takes you along the famous Route 62 towards Oudtshoorn where you explore the Cango Caves and have the opportunity to ride an ostrich. From there you continue to the beautiful Garden Route and pass Plettenberg Bay, Knysna and the Tsitsikamma National Park. In the Addo Elephant Park you might spot the ‘Big Seven’ before you head to the friendly city of Port Elizabeth where the tour ends.
Day 1 | South Africa
- Stellenbosch: Winelands, Cheetah Breeding Project
Day 2-3 | South Africa
- Oudtshoorn: Cango Caves, ostrich farm (optional)
- Knysna: Lagoon, The Heads, Knysna Forest, Knysna Elephant Park (optional)
- Plettenberg Bay: Beaches, whale and dolphin watching
Day 4-7 | South Africa
- Tsitsikamma National Park: Hiking, Otter trail, bungee jumping (optional)
- Addo Elephant National Park: Game drives
Day 1 | Cape Town, South Africa - Stellenbosch Wine Route, South Africa
Distance approx. 50 km; driving time approx. 1-2h
Leaving Cape Town you drive to the historic student town of Stellenbosch’s to taste some excellent wines. On clear days the magnificent mountain scenery makes this a memorable first day. You will also visit Cheetah Outreach before settling in at your accommodation for the night. Tonight your guides will brief you on what to expect from the days ahead.
Day 2 | Stellenbosch, South Africa - Oudtshoorn, South Africa
Distance approx. 400 km; driving time approx. 6h
You travel along the famous Route 62 towards Oudtshoorn and if time allows you will stop at Ronnie’s Sex Shop - not a sex shop but a rather interesting country pub. On a guided tour of the Cango Caves where you will explore the cool dripstone caverns with their vast halls and towering formations. Furthermore you have the opportunity of visiting an ostrich farm later in the afternoon (optional activity, not included in the rate). You will overnight in Oudtshoorn.
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
Day 3 | Oudtshoorn, South Africa - Knysna/Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
Distance approx. 150 km; driving time approx. 2-3h
You travel through the magnificent Outeniqua Mountains to Knysna. The afternoon is at leisure and you have time to explore Knysna, one of South Africa’s most popular seaside towns. Eat oysters, browse the shops and sample the food. There are a lot of optional activities available: visit the Knysna Elephant Park, Birds of Eden, Monkey World or a predator rehabilitation centre. Join a Knysna lagoon cruise, township tour or a 4x4 forest drive.
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
Day 4-5 | Plettenberg Bay, South Africa - Tsitsikamma National Park, South Africa
Distance on day 4 approx. 50 km; driving time approx. 1h
Plettenberg Bay is a holiday town with lovely beaches and good restaurants, but one of South Africa’s best-kept secrets is the Tsitsikamma National Park. With its superb coastal scenery and hiking trails along the sea and in the forest, Tsitsikamma is a nature lover’s paradise. The first few kilometers of the tough 5-day Otter hiking trail takes you along the rocky coastline to a specular waterfall. For those needing more adrenalin, the Bloukrans bridge at a height of 216 m is one of the world’s highest bungee jumping sites. This is an optional activity and not included in the rate.
2 x Breakfast | 2 x Lunch | 2 x Dinner
Day 6 | Tsitsikamma National Park, South Africa - Addo Elephant National Park, South Africa
Distance approx. 350 km; driving time approx. 4-5h (excl. game drives)
Today you travel to the Addo Elephant National Park in the Eastern Cape which is home to the ‘Big Seven’ - elephant, rhino, lion, buffalo, leopard, southern right whale and great white shark. The elevated view from the truck is great for photos. You will overnight outside of the Addo National Park.
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
Day 7 | Addo Elephant National Park, South Africa - Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Distance approx. 150 km; driving time approx. 2h (excl. game drives)
After a last Breakfast, you bid the Addo area fare well and drive to Port Elizabeth airport where your tour ends.
- Overland tour according to the itinerary
- 6 nights accommodation in guesthouses, chalets, bungalows,
- camps or lodges as indicated in the itinerary
- Transport in an overland truck
- Professional English-speaking guide
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- Coffee and tea with breakfast
- National parks fees
- Flights (international and domestic)
- Meals not indicated in the itinerary
- Beverages (alcohol, soft drinks and bottled mineral water)
- Optional activities
- Visa, tips, personal expenses, travel insurance
How big is the group and where are my fellow travellers from?
- Group sizes vary however there is a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 20 travellers per group
- Travellers are from all over the world and from all walks of life
Is there an age limit on tour?
- Generally the age limit is 16 to 65 years. But please feel free to contact us if you are a youngster travelling with your parents or if you are over the age of 65 years and we will gladly contact the local tour operator to see if we can’t work out something for you.
Where does the group overnight while on tour?
- 6 nights are spent in twin rooms at nice camps / guesthouses / lodges.
What vehicle is used on tour?
- We make use of safari trucks that have been reconstructed in order to cope with the demanding African conditions. Big windows guarantee first-class game and nature viewing and a spacious interior with comfortable seats offer a high travel comfort. The back part of the vehicle is used for luggage, food and other equipment.
What meals are included and what food can be expected on tour?
- Meals are included as indicated in the itinerary
- Breakfast usually consists of cereals, toast and jam. Light lunches like salads and sandwiches are prepared en-route while for dinner the guide prepares stews, BBQs, vegetables and different pasta or rice dishes.
How much extra money do I have to take along?
- We recommend that you take along some extra cash for drinks, snacks and souvenirs. 10-15 USD per day is usually sufficient (depending on your spending habits). In addition you should allow some extra money for the optional activities you might want to participate in.
Do I need visa for this tour?
- Citizens of all nationalities need to contact the respective embassies of their travel destination to check the visa regulations.
- In general European citizens do not require a visa for South Africa.
- It is the sole responsibility of every traveller to be in possession of the required documents and visa that allows them to enter their holiday destination.
Do I need vaccinations for this tour?
- Although South Africa does not require proof of immunization against Tetanus, Diphtheria, Polio and Hepatitis A & B, we nevertheless recommend those vaccinations.