Kruger Park & Balule Game Reserve
5 Day Overland Tour, Accommodated
Number of Participants: 4-17
Tour Price: 615 EUR
On this 5-day overland accommodated tour you will travel along a scenic road to Mpumalanga and stop at Dullstroom, Pilgrim´s Rest, Bourke´s Luck Potholes and the green Blyde River Canyon. In the Balule Nature Reserve you will join an open vehicle for a night game drive. Your journey then continues to the well-known Kruger National Park where you go on a full day game drive. Thereafter you stay in Hazyview and explore the subtropical forest right on the Sabie River.
Day 1-5 | South Africa
- Panorama Route: Pilgrim´s Rest, Bourke´s Luck Potholes, Blyde River Canyon
- Balule Nature Reserve: Game walk, open vehicle night game drive
- Kruger National Park: Game drive
- Hazyview: Forest walk
Day 1 | Johannesburg, South Africa - Balule Nature Reserve, South Africa
Distance approx. 500 km; driving time approx. 7-8h
Departing at 06h30 from Drifters Johannesburg Lodge, you travel along a picturesque route to Mpumalanga. Along the way you visit Dullstroom, traverse Robbers Pass and spend time in the quaint historic town of Pilgrim’s Rest. You also visit Bourke’s Luck Potholes and the Blyde River Canyon. Thereafter you snake down the escarpment to the Lowveld where you overnight in a well-appointed bush camp. Set in a private reserve neighbouring to the Kruger Park, this tented camp offers comfortable beds en-suite bathrooms and stunning views over the surrounding bush. Dinner cooked on the open fire.
Day 2 | Balule Nature Reserve, South Africa
You start the day with coffee and rusks before setting off on a game walk. On this walk of about three hours you will look for game, stopping regularly to learn more about the vegetation and animals. A guide and tracker escort all walks. Return to camp for a late morning brunch, relax around the pool and enjoy the camp atmosphere. In the afternoon you join an open vehicle game drive, which can turn into an extensive night drive. Being in the bush at night provides the opportunity to see shy nocturnal animals. This evening you enjoy a hearty bush “braai” and again fall asleep to the sounds of the wild.
Brunch | Dinner
Day 3 | Balule Nature Reserve, South Africa - Kruger National Park, South Africa
Distance approx. 50 km; driving time approx. 1h (excl. game drive)
You leave the bush camp in the morning and travel the short distance to the world-renowned Kruger National Park, where. Here you will spend the rest of the day viewing animals from the high vantage point of our vehicle with its high vantage point it offers excellent views over the grass and into the bush and is fully equipped to prepare a fresh picnic lunch in the park. A picnic lunch is included. Accommodation is in one of the park’s camps.
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
Day 4 | Kruger National Park, South Africa - Hazyview, South Africa
Distance approx. 100 km; driving time approx. 1h (excl. game drives)
After breakfast, you will go on another game drive, searching for the “Big 5” and a variety of other animals that inhabit the park. After leaving the park you head for the farming town of Hazyview. The overnight stop is the Hazyview Lodge, a spectacular log cabin built on stilts in subtropical indigenous forest on the Sabie River. Here you can enjoy swimming, the bird hide and breath-taking forest walks.
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
Day 5 | Hazyview, South Africa - Johannesburg, South Africa
Distance approx. 450 km; driving time approx. 6h
After a relaxed morning you depart to arrive in Johannesburg in the late afternoon.
- Overland tour according to the itinerary
- 4 nights accommodation in guesthouses, chalets, bungalows, camps or lodges as indicated in the itinerary
- Transport in an overland truck and a 4x4 safari vehicle
- Professional English-speaking guide
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- Coffee and tea with breakfast
- National parks fees
- All game drives according to the itinerary
- Flights (international and domestic)
- Meals not indicated in the itinerary
- Beverages (alcohol, soft drinks and bottled mineral water)
- Optional activities
- Visa, tips, personal expenses, travel insurance
How big is the group and where are my fellow travellers from?
- Group sizes vary however there is a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 17 travellers per group.
- Travellers are from all over the world and from all walks of life.
Is there an age limit on tour?
Generally the age limit is 18 to 55 years. But please feel free to contact us if you are a youngster travelling with your parents or if you are over the age of 55 years and we will gladly contact the local tour operator to see if we can’t work out something for you.
Where does the group overnight while on tour?
- 4 nights are spent in twin rooms / permanent tents at nice camps / guesthouses / lodges.
What vehicle is used on tour?
- We make use of safari trucks that have been reconstructed in order to cope with the demanding African conditions. Big windows guarantee first-class game and nature viewing and a spacious interior with comfortable seats offer a high travel comfort. The back part of the vehicle is used for luggage, food and other equipment.
What meals are included and what food can be expected on tour?
- Meals are included as indicated in the itinerary.
- Breakfast usually consists of cereals, toast and jam. Light lunches like salads and sandwiches are prepared en-route while for dinner the guide prepares stews, BBQs, vegetables and different pasta or rice dishes.
How much extra money do I have to take along?
- We recommend that you take along some extra cash for drinks, snacks and souvenirs. 10-15 USD per day is usually sufficient (depending on your spending habits). In addition you should allow some extra money for the optional activities you might want to participate in.
Do I need visa for this tour?
- Citizens of all nationalities need to contact the respective embassies of their travel destination to check the visa regulations.
- In general European citizens do not require a visa for South Africa.
- It is the sole responsibility of every traveller to be in possession of the required documents and visa that allows them to enter their holiday destination.
Do I need vaccinations for this tour?
- Although South Africa does not require proof of immunization against Tetanus, Diphtheria, Polio and Hepatitis A & B, we nevertheless recommend those vaccinations.
- As the Kruger National Park is situated within a malaria area, we would recommend some precautions. Please speak to your doctor or travel clinic about the different prophylaxis and their effects and side effects.