11 Day Safari, Camping
Number of Participants: 2-12
Tour Price: from 1,755 EUR
Single Supplement: 130 EUR
This 11–day camping safari starts in Maun and you will travel to the edge of the Okavango River delta. From here, motorboats will take you deeper into the paradise where polers with their mekoro will take you to an island. You will explore this wilderness by mekoro and on foot. Your next stop is the Moremi Game Reserve where you go on game drives at sunrise to search for Africa´s wildlife. You head northwards to the Chobe River and the Chobe National Park. You cross the Zambezi River by ferry and drive to Livingstone in Zambia to experience the Victoria Falls.
Day 1-6; Botswana
- Okavango Delta: Mokoro excursions, guided walks, scenic flight over the Delta (optional)
- Moremi Game Reserve: Game drives
Day 7-9; Botswana
- Chobe National Park: Savuti, Chobe River, game drives
Day 10-11; Zambia
- Victoria Falls: Crossing of the Zambezi River by ferry, white river rafting, bungee jumping, canoeing, elephant rides, scenic flights (optional)
Day 1-2 Maun, Botswana - Okavango Delta, Botswana
Distance on day 1 approx. 350 km; driving time approx. 4-5h
Your adventure will take you from Maun to the western side of the Okavango Delta, a corner of this green oasis. Once you have reached the edge of the delta, you will transfer to motorboats and cruise along the narrow papyrus-lined waterways deeper into the Delta. Here you will meet the local polers with their mekoro (traditional wooden canoes) who will take you to an island where you will camp rustic with bush ablutions. You will spend two days exploring reed-edged channels and lily-covered ponds on mekoro excursions and join walks with local guides to see the wildlife on the islands and floodplains of the Okavango.
1 x Breakfast, 2 x Lunch, 2 x Dinner
Day 3 Okavango Delta, Botswana - Maun, Botswana
Distance approx. 350 km; driving time approx. 4-5h
Returning to Maun today, you will have the option of taking a scenic flight over the delta (not included in the rate). This experience provides a bird’s view of the Okavango Delta’s water system – a spider web of channels and lakes. You will replenish supplies and spend the night at a campsite outside Maun with permanent ablution facilities.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 4-6 Maun, Botswana - Moremi Game Reserve, Botswana
Distance on day 4 approx. 150 km; driving time approx. 6h (incl. game drive)
From Maun you will drive to Moremi Game Reserve, one of the best wilderness areas of Botswana. It was the first game reserve in Africa established by local residents. It covers a diversity of landscapes, from clear lakes in the delta to mopani forests and grasslands. Wildlife is equally varied: from huge herds of elephants, black and white rhino to more than 400 bird species. Game drives will be taken at sunrise and in the late afternoon. During the heat of the day you can rest and retreat to a cool spot. On day 6 you will move campsites to explore a different area of this diverse park. Camping will be in private designated campsites with bush ablutions.
3 x Breakfast, 3 x Lunch, 3 x Dinner
Day 7-9 Moremi Game Reserve, Botswana - Chobe National Park, Botswana
Distance on day 7 & 8 approx. 150 km; driving time approx. 5-6h (incl. game drive)
Tonight you camp in the Chobe National Park with its grasslands, shrub areas and mopani woodlands. Vegetation varies according to rainfall and animals moves to where the best food options are. You might see cheetah in the grassy plains and leopards in the riverine forests. Packs of the rare wild dogs might be spotted, waiting, during the season when zebra and impala have their babies. You will visit the Savuti region where bull elephants can be seen in the dry months. The rainy season brings thousands of zebras, antelope and predators. On the banks of the Chobe River you can watch elephants busy with their bathing rituals accompanied by the call of the majestic African fish eagle.
3 x Breakfast, 3 x Lunch, 3 x Dinner
Day 10-11 Chobe National Park, Botswana - Livingstone, Zambia
Distance on day 10 approx. 100 km; driving time approx. 2-3h
After a morning game drive you will cross the Zambezi River by ferry and then drive to Livingstone on the Zambian side of the Victoria Falls (visa required). Here you will spend the night in a comfortable lodge with real ablutions. Experience the thunderous Victoria Falls and shop for curios in the afternoon. More adventurous guests can choose from activities such as white water rafting down the Zambezi River, canoeing, elephant rides, bungee jumping or helicopter flights over the Victoria Falls. Dinner will be at your own expense at the lodge. The safari officially ends at 10:00 but you can extend your stay or join another tour to explore more of Africa.
2x Breakfast, 1 x Lunch
- Safari according to the itinerary
- 9 nights camping, 1 night accommodated
- Transport in a 4x4 safari vehicle
- Professional English-speaking guide
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- National parks fees
- Camping equipment
- Flights (international and domestic)
- Meals not indicated in the itinerary
- Beverages (alcohol, soft drinks and bottled mineral water)
- Optional activities
- Visa, tips, personal expenses, travel insurance
- Sleeping bag
How big is the group and where are my fellow travellers from?
- Group sizes vary however there is a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 12 travellers per group.
- Travellers are from all over the world and from all walks of life.
Is there an age limit on tour?
- Generally the minimum age is 12 years. But please feel free to contact us if you are a youngster travelling with your parents and we will gladly contact the local tour operator to see if we can’t work out something for you. Otherwise everyone that feels fit enough and is open minded is welcome on this camping safari.
Where does the group overnight while on tour?
- 1 night is spent in spacious 2-man dome tents (2,1 x 2,1m) on a campsite with good ablution and other facilities.
- 8 nights are spent in spacious 2-man dome tents (2,1 x 2,1m) in basic bush camps with very basic ablutions (bush toilet + Bucket shower).
- 1 night is spent in twin rooms at a comfortable camp/lodge.
What vehicle is used on tour?
- We make use of open 4x4 safari vehicles (i.e. Toyota Landcruiser) that have been reconstructed in order to cope with the demanding African conditions. On the sides, Perspex windows can be fitted in case of rain or for longer driving distances.
What meals are included and what food can be expected on tour?
- Meals are included as indicated in the itinerary
- Breakfast usually consists of cereals, toast and jam. Light lunches like salads and sandwiches are prepared en-route while for dinner the guide prepares stews, BBQs, vegetables and different pasta or rice dishes over an open fire.
How much extra money do I have to take along?
- We recommend that you take along some extra cash for drinks, snacks and souvenirs. 10-15 USD per day is usually sufficient (depending on your spending habits). In addition you should allow some extra money for the optional activities you might want to participate in.
Do I need visa for this safari?
- Citizens of all nationalities need to contact the respective embassies of their travel destination to check the visa regulations.
- In general European citizens do not require a visa for Botswana. For Zambia a visa is usually required.
- It is the sole responsibility of every traveller to be in possession of the required documents and visa that allows them to enter their holiday destination.
Do I need vaccinations for this safari?
- The safari ends in Livingstone, Zambia which is a yellow fever region.
As your return flight will most likely go via Johannesburg, South Africa, a proof of a yellow fever vaccination is required.
- As Botswana and Livingstone are situated within a malaria area, we would recommend some precautions. Please speak to your doctor or travel clinic about the different prophylaxis and their effects and side effects.
- Although none of the countries visited on tour require proof of immunization against Tetanus, Diphtheria, Polio and Hepatitis A & B, we nevertheless recommend those vaccinations.